31st July 2019
Client Sign Up – Making Tax Digital (MTD) for VAT
Filed Under: Tax, VAT
As you are aware Making Tax Digital (MTD) for VAT is now in effect for those businesses with turnover above the VAT threshold of £85,000.
HMRC requires these businesses to sign up to MTD for VAT online via the Gov.uk website and then link the Government Gateway account to your chosen MTD compatible software.
If you submit your own VAT returns you will need to complete the process yourself using your current Government Gateway account that you currently use to submit VAT returns.
The schedule shows when your first MTD compliant VAT Return will need to be submitted. Signing up with HMRC will need to be completed at least 7 days before submitting the first MTD compliant VAT return.
Please note; Download and save a copy of your VAT Certificate before completing this process.
- To sign up you will need your Government Gateway credentials and the date of registration
- Signing up for MTD with HMRC needs to be completed at least 7 days before submitting your first MTD compliant VAT return.
- Software can be linked once a confirmation email from HMRC has been received.
- Once registered you will not be able to submit VAT returns manually on the HMRC website, only through compatible software.
- If VAT is usually paid by Direct Debt (DD), please contact HMRC to ensure the DD Payment will be taken after signing up to MTD. There have been circumstances where HMRC has not taken the DD. If you have any queries please get in contact.
HMRC Sign Up
To sign up to Making Tax Digital for VAT with HMRC, please click on the below link. Select “Sign up your own business” follow the steps and wait for confirmation by email that you’ve been moved to the MTD service.
Once the email has been received, you will then be able to link your software to the Government Gateway Account.
Please do not hesitate to contact us on 01903 300230, if you have any queries.
If you liked this post please share it: